Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

That Thine Alms May be in Secret

As I was reading in 3 Nephi 13, I was struck by the Savior's words on doing alms to the poor and how sometimes we do alms In order to be seen of men. So I started thinking about all the things I do and wondered at the reasons I do them. I think that sometimes I have thoughts in the back of my mind that as I do these things, I am waiting for others to tell me what a wonderful person I am for doing all these things. It made me stop and think, "why am I teaching this lesson"' "why am I teaching my children?"... Am I spending so much time on this lesson so that in will receive compliments and accolades from the students and everyone will know what a great teacher I am, or am I doing so because I want the girls to feel the Spirit and learn the same truths that on have learned from studying this lesson? Do I want my children to be good people and have strong testimonies of the Gospel because I want others to think I am a wonderful mother and teacher or do I do the best I can because I love them and know that they are heavenly Father's children and I want us to be together forever with our Heavenly Father? I would like to think that I do it for the right reasons but, I think that sometimes I do those things for the wrong reasons. So it made me stop and think and examine my motives. I know that I do the things I do for good reasons and sometimes bad, simply because I am human. I also realized that my Heavenly Father loves me and wants to teach me and that he did so through the scriptures. That is why it is so important to study the scriptures so that He can teach me and help me to become more like Him. I know I will try harder to do things for the right reasons.

0 comments: